Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chores?

How do you like this list? I got this from a friends post on FB, and I thought I would share....my thoughts.

My boys can put their toys away, and then dump them right back all over the place while screaming "yay!" And possibly breaking things. They can dust, then lick the duster. . . Swiffer, then peel it off and wipe their mouth with it. They can unload the dishwasher too, but they're only interested in the knives. They can wipe cabinets and baseboards with an entire package of 320 babywipes. They can also vacuum, with a toddler vacuum that doesn't scare the living shit out of them! Oh yeah, and they can throw the dirty clothes with the clean ones and manage to drive me crazy while doing it. My little soldiers, or not. It's ok though! They're 2!! Let them suffer through all that shit when they're adults and hate it like the rest of us! Why ruin their childhood!?

When I was growing up, my Mom did everything.  She cleaned on Sundays, did laundry on Monday's. She cooked every single day, and we never helped at all.  If we did, I don't remember.  Not that I want my kids to grow up to be assholes who don't want to help their mother, but I wonder if my Mom had a similar philosophy?  To let us be kids, and worry about all of the adult brain consuming nonsense when we finally turned into adults?  It takes a lot out of a person to be an adult, a mother, and a wife.  These things are trying, and only a matured mind can really understand why or at least accept it.  That's how I feel anyway, and if I'm wrong...whatever.  But me and my siblings all turned out ok.

Now that I have said the above paragraph, I'm going to really sit back and think on this one.  Defending my 2 year old twins lack of responsiblility (see, that just sounds crazy right?) and the importance of a real childhood totally makes me feel like an asshole.  I drill my girls almost daily about the shit they leave all over my house, the condition of their room, and about the pile of dishes that's now overflowing onto the counter top.  My mom had 5 kids, 5.  She also worked.  She managed to do IT ALL, so what's my problem?  I need to lay off my girls ... maybe.  I wonder if I do, will they willingly help me?  Hmmmm.....This will not be an easy one for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment